A proud member of Skate Canada
Information to Parents
Congratulations! When you sign up for a skating program at your club you become a member of Skate Canada. Your Skate Canada membership fee includes access to all Skate Canada programs and also provides insurance coverage. Skate Canada offers a variety of programs including CanSkate, CanPowerSkate, CanSynchroSkate, STARSkate and CompetitiveSkate. For more information on Skate Canada visit www.skatecanada.ca or call 1-888-747-2372.
Skate Canada enjoys tremendous success due, in large part, to its strong volunteer base. Volunteering in skating provides many opportunities for htmlreasing personal management and leadership skills, as well as social interaction, and contributes significantly to the team that is synonymous with skating excellence in Canada. For more information about Skate Canada contact your local club or visit www.skatecanada.ca or call 1.888.747.2372
What is Skate Canada?
Skate Canada is dedicated to the principles of enabling every Canadian to participate in skating throughout their lifetime for fun, fitness and/or achievement. It is:
- the governing body for figure skating in Canada
- a member of the International Skating Union
- the largest figure skating association in the world with over 180,000 members across Canada
What does Skate Canada do?
- Provides standards and rules for the activities of its members
- Qualifies and appoints evaluators, judges, referees and other officials
- Conducts training for coaches and club administrators
- Offers a skill-testing program for skaters
- Conducts competitions for skaters from the learn-to-skate levels through to international championships
- Develops instructional skating programs for Canadians of all ages, skill levels and interests
Why become a member of Skate Canada?
By belonging to Skate Canada you become part of a national association, with access to the highest quality skating programs in Canada developed and tested nationally. You have a voice in Association matters through your local club. Membership has its advantages! Benefits when you are a Skate Canada member:
- An accident insurance benefit at a substantially lower cost to the members than that available in other sports.
- Access to high quality programs that are recognized and often sought after internationally and by other national sport organizations.
- Access to qualified, NCCP certified Skate Canada professional coaches who have been trained through high quality training programs developed by Skate Canada.
- National registry of figure skating qualifications (tests) and results (for qualifying events) held in a central computerized system for easy access.
- Test certificates and Award of Merits for tests passed.
- Web site
- Online store with special pricing for members on materials and Skate Canada merchandise
- Members only access to information including event announcements, rulebook, information on athlete development, talent ID and off-ice training.
- Toll free telephone and fax access to member services and national office.
- Have the opportunity to participate in interclub and invitational competitions.
- Elite athlete and skater development funding and programs.
- Opportunities for skaters to compete for positions on the national teams.
- Voting privileges and opportunity to participate in the decision-making and direction of the Association.
- The opportunity to purchase selected Skate Canada event tickets prior to the general public.
- Benefit from participation in a sport that promotes fun, fitness, achievement and the development of essential life skills such as confidence, time and stress management, teamwork and motivation/commitment.
What programs are available?
CanSkate – Canada’s learn-to-skate program for people of all ages. CanSkate introduces basic skills and fundamental movements in a fun, active group lesson format taught by NCCP certified coaches and trained program assistants. For skaters interested in building on the skills learned in CanSkate, the following programs are offered: STARSkate – Skills introduced in the higher CanSkate stages are advanced and refined in the STARSkate program. STARSkate offers opportunities for skaters of all ages to develop fundamental figure skating skills in the areas of ice dance, skating skills, free skate and interpretive skating in both group lesson and private lesson formats. Skaters have the option of taking Skate Canada Tests through a nationally standardized testing system and participating in invitational competitions.
CompetitiveSkate – Athletes who enjoy a competitive environment will excel in this program that htmlorporates a series of tests and other training opportunities to help competitors reach and surpass their goals. Provhtmlial, national and international competitions are a part of this program, with elite athletes vying for spots on Canada's national, world and Olympic teams!
CanPowerSkate – is an action-packed, high energy instructional power skating program geared to hockey and ringette skaters that focuses on balance, power, agility, speed and endurance. Great for both physical conditioning and skill development, CanPowerSkate is the only nationally regulated power skating program in Canada.
SynchroSkate – Synchronized skating, or "synchro" is a specialized discipline of skating involving groups of twelve or more skaters performing group formations and transitions in unison to music, while demonstrating quality edges, power and flow. There are two streams available to skaters depending on their goals – Festival or Competitive. Resource materials are also available for coaches and clubs wishing to introduce synchronized skating at the CanSkate level. And there's more! For information on other programs including AdultSkate, CollegiateSkate and special needs visit www.skatecanada.ca